Monday, February 28, 2011

@GDC...

I'm attending GDC (Game Developers Conference) this week in San Francisco, mostly to learn what others in the games industry have to teach about getting a game studio up and running. I've also been picking up various gems of wisdom from between the lines of many of the talks I've been to so far. This is the first time that I've attended myself. (i've wanted to for so long but could never seem to justify the not-insignificant expense before..)

Work on the current project had stalled for a bit, because I bit off a little more than I could chew and broke a lot of stuff. Many hours of fixing compiler errors and rooting out bugs in the half-baked, slapped-on design that I had before yielded little but frustration. Were it not for the motivation and insight I got from some of the talks I heard on this first day, it might still be broken. So this conference is very quickly living up to its hype for me, and the project is beginning to get back on track, and I'm beginning to understand some of the ideas that I've had for it, both good and bad, quite a bit better.

This game as well as all future neocade games have already benefited from the knowledge and ideas that I've been getting at this conference, and I expect the rest of the week to bring even more goodness.

back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment