Friday, December 3, 2010

Army of One

Right now, I'm doing everything myself here. I'm not even working with any contractors at this point, although I do anticipate doing so at some as-yet-undetermined point in the future.

1) The framework for doing so just is not in place. While I do have an idea of what will be needed to execute a contract agreement effectively, the means for doing so just aren't in my hands - yet. I'm a cook with a recipe but short a couple of key ingredients.

2) Working on my own is a very valuable experience. I'm able to really see what my limitations are instead of arbitrarily imposing them on myself. While eventually I will be delegating everything to other people, I always think it is a good idea to understand at least a good chunk of the work that is to be delegated, to walk in the shoes of my future employees. :)

3) It's cheaper. I'm on a super tight budget for now, and the cheapest hire is no hire at all. Yes, I understand that time is money, and the time I spend doing work that could be delegated for a modest sum can be just as costly, if not more so. This obviously imposes some fairly severe limitations as to what I'm able to do within the timeframe I have to execute; however, I'm finding some creative solutions to this challenge.

Of course, this does mean that it will take a little bit longer for me to produce a finished product than if I were working with a team, but I think I've got it figured out such that I can make it work for at least my first release or two. Once I get a game or two out there that really prove the whole concept of what exactly I'm doing, then we can start talking about delegation and bringing more people into the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment